Tuesday, April 16, 2013



Diary of An Impatient Gardener
By Paul Rodman

Mother Nature is messing with my head! After being stuck indoors for over 5 months this gardener is ready to get my hands back into the soil. Old Ma Nature doesn’t want to cooperate.
She threw us a bone a few weeks ago with a couple of 70 degree days; but then quickly retreated back to the near freezing temperatures.
Usually by this time of year I have the garden tilled and some lettuce and onions planted. I went out last week to till a raised bed and found frozen soil 3-4 inches deep.
As I check the future forecasts we get a couple of nice days and then the mercury seems to retreat to its old habits.
But I do believe that Mom Nature is about to surrender, yesterday I saw the slightest twinge of yellow peeking out of some forsythia. My rhubarb has finally broken through the soil with is burgundy and green leaves beginning to show.
Could it really be? Spring has finally arrived and this winter worn gardener can finally begin to work the soil, pull the weeds and be content for a few glorious summer months.
I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment