Monday, April 22, 2013



Are You a Pruner Abuser???
By Paul Rodman

Let me preface this by hoping that you do as I say, not as I do.
I think we all can agree that one of the most valuable tools that any serious gardener can have is a good pair of hand pruners.
I’m no exception; I’ve owned a pair of Felco number two pruners for close to 20 years.

They’re made of high quality Swiss steel, and I think the most important feature is that ALL of the parts are replaceable. Why is this important you ask?
Hand pruners are made to cut stems and branches no larger than your baby finger. Well. I can beat that, I’ve cut wire, garden twine, tin cans, plastic milk jugs, and branches almost as large as your wrist, (this is accomplished by using 2 hands and exerting as much pressure as a automotive stamping press).

But you know what? My Felco’s take a licking and keep on cutting. (Thank you John Cameron Swayze and Timex).
This is not to say that there aren’t other good brands of pruners available. 

The key issue is once they’ve had it they are finished, kaput, toast etc. I don’t know of any others who parts are replaceable.

So, what does this all mean? I’ll probably continue to cut wire, tin cans, plastic and no telling what else. Midway through through the summer I’ll buy another blade and my pruners will be as good as new.

The author receives no compensation for his endorsement of Felco pruners.


No comments:

Post a Comment